Sunday, May 22, 2011

The end of the world as we know it

Okay so it is May 22, and I am still here.

I took the bus home from a meeting late into the evening one night last week.
Nonetheless, the bus was crowded even though it was past 9pm. The man standing in front of me was bedecked from head to toe in clothing that admonished; Repent- Rapture is coming May 21, 2011.

That particular bus heads straight into the heart of the Observant Jewish section of Queens. All around me the pious (wow -three vowels in a row- got to remember that word for scrabble game) were deeply absorbed in well worn books printed in both Hebrew and English.

"They live their live's as if the Messiah will arrive any day," my husband explained when I related the story.

And the bus moved silently towards everyone's home.

Me- I played games on the new phone the whole way.

If the world ended yesterday-I'd not being going anywhere good.

I suppose I need to write lessons for the week to come.

1 comment:

  1. I was pretty sure the world wasn't coming to an end last night. I would have been eating Thai food on 72nd St at the moment of Rapture. Not surprisingly we are all still here. I can't help think of the retired Transit employee who put his retirement funds into advertising on the trains. We need to plan our excursion to the Lemon Ice King. Any time in June?

    ReplyDelete