Thursday, January 7, 2010

Blowing it Up

When my mom was quite ill I found myself in the airport often. One morning I found myself at the coffee bar next to two New York Times reading businessmen. Guilianni, had made one of his public school demeaning, teacher bashing comments the day before. The suits were discussing it. I can even remember one comment exactly.

"All NYC schools should be blown up and they can start all over again," one said to the other. (Apparently in those days you could talk about blowing something up, while in the airport without instantly meeting the TSA).

I had plenty on my mind, I should have kept my mouth shut- minded my own business. But as my colleague says- I can't, its just not my nature.

So I turned and asked, "When was the last time you were actually inside a NYC school."

And they did reply. They had never been in one.

So I invited them. Come, anytime to ours. Come see what goes on. Come watch children from all different countries learn English, and everything else. Come see one teacher keep thirty kids, happy and engaged with limited supplies. Come see what really goes on before you offer to blow it up."

I would have given them a business card- but teachers don't have those. At least not this teacher.

They called my plane and I boarded.
As I settled into my seat, I heard the gentleman behind me.

"She's passionate about her job, you got to give her that."

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! We all need to speak up more and invite people into our classrooms.

    ReplyDelete