Monday, February 27, 2012

Highs and Lows


So while I dived the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean, the Teacher Data Reports were released.

Okay so I promised not to make this a whiny, complaining blog, enough of those to go around, but still I couldn't let this one just slip by.

First of all I do not have a TDR. Although more than 80% of my career I worked in grades that were "reported," the three years the reports are based on - I did not.

Second of all, I read clips from a variety of sources and here is my summation of how the data reports are made. The city makes a prediction of how well the students in your class should do on their one day only, state tests. If the your students do better then they predicted you get a high score, if your students do worse you get a low score.

I resisted the urge to look at anyone's report- until I didn't.
I didn't find much interesting.
My husband came home and looked over my shoulder.
He noted that margin of error was 50%.

The news media made a big deal about them.
I thought it was pretty complicated to get through all the blather to the actual reports.
Will it make any difference in the end?

I don't know.
Why is it open season on teachers?


No comments:

Post a Comment