Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Talking Pineapples and random thoughts.

I have a bunch of random thoughts tonight
My brain is  fried from the testing.

American Idol is on in the background and this fresh faced contestant is rocking out Fat Bottomed Girls, it's Queen Night on Idol.  Thank goodness the new school aide was replaced by a newer school aide.  Every time I passed the old, new school aide,  the above mentioned song stormed into my brain- it was only a matter of time until the sensors were overwhelmed- and it would burst out in the hallway.
The only good thing you can say about our hallway is the acoustics makes even my voice sound good.

From the Those who live in glass houses file:
I was verbally, shall we say encouraging, Pablo down the hall.  I walked behind him.  I walked next to him.  I walked in front of him.  And then I heard from behind me the refrain:
I like big butts and I cannot lie....


The New York Times featured our neighborhood in its real estate section.  It mentioned that some of the famous jazz greats once lived there.  I taught summer school one summer.  We read Master Harold and the Boys,  a play by the South African playwright Athol Fugard.  In the first act two characters discuss playing a Sarah Vaughn tune on the jukebox in a rainy tea room in Capetown. "Oh," said the assistant assigned to the room, I used to double date with Sarah Vaughn.  She lived in the neighborhood.  And then she brought us tapes of her songs. We played them in a rainy classroom in Queens.

We gave the English Language Arts Test last week.  The principal asked me what I thought, as I tried to get them packaged up and sent to the collection site.

"Okay," I guessed, "but there were some answers I didn't know."  Because I guess I am not smarter than an eighth grader.
And then the  Hare and the Pineapple story hit the paper
I was not alone.
Read it here.  Its a funny story.
Just unanswerable.
The very sad part.  Many teacher, including both Teacher Guppies  reported the students complained the story made no sense.

Not my students.  To them the whole test didn't make much sense.
I hate testing week.

1 comment:

  1. I read about the pineapple and I didn't get it either. So much for testing! Thanks for your nice comment. I am feeling much better today. It's amazing what a prescription will do. I hope I'm better in the next week. MRI on Saturday, but no plans for Sunday next. Maybe a blog girls' jaunt?

    ReplyDelete